My Bookmarks

Empty at the moment

As i tell everybody, this blog is mostly a dump for my trivial technical ramblings and self-deprecating sub-negative posts wallowing in my own self-pity

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Some slightly new developments

I said 'slightly new' because these 'developments' are largely confined to pen and paper for now, and some kilobytes on my harddisk.

Yesterday i obsoleted the UAV project i worked on in 2003-2004, archived the folder, and started a new UAV project. It would surely benefit from the ground previously broken by the old project.

The idea for the new project first came when i was waiting at the Tekong IMT centre for my turn to shoot. jotted an engine placement scheme in my notebook then left it alone for a while. Days ago i decided to make a UAV, and that scheme came to my mind. The flexibility and multiple redundancy associated with its VTOL capability is appealing to me, and i have just come up with a design i can start building. Two wings stacked as a cross, four engines on the ends of the wings. The engines are mounted on servo-controlled joints that allow a hemispherical movement space (hmm its difficult to explain, apologies for the bad use of words)

The X-Wing UAV (okay maybe its difficult to visualise) has aspects reminiscent of previous efforts by other pple...hovering discs or other skeletal crosses hovered by 4 engines, and the V-22 osprey's tiltrotor concept. I hope this 'rojak' design allows it to 'dance like a helicoptor, cruise like a plane'...if you understand what i mean.

Now to go work on the control system, which will be really difficult. Also, to muster the monetary resources to acquire my motors and batteries and structural materials and electronics parts.

Long way ahead. The success of this project is extremely crucial to myself.

I cannot fail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home